HISTORY OF THE BUFFALO CLUB
Excerpts taken from the 100th Anniversary Booklet by Ted Allen
The Buffalo Football Club was founded at a meeting at the Buffalo Hotel in East London, South Africa on the 2nd June, 1877, to which “gentleman from both sides of the river” were invited.
The idea of Buffalo Park had occupied the thoughts of many Buffs in the 40’s and 50’s, and was to become a reality when the brickwork was started on the 12th May 1960.
The first AGM of the Buffalo Club was held on the 22nd August 1960, and on the 4th January 1961 Ted Allen, the president of the Buffalo Fottball Club handed over the clubhouse to its first president, Archie Taylor.
Soon to be completed will be change rooms at the fields and a braai/patio area adjoining the main bar.
The Buffalo Club now has 10 sub-sections, namely rugby, cricket, men’s hockey, ladies hockey, tennis, bowls, road running, snooker, soccer and squash which became affliated this year.